I am a Second Degree Black Belt. That is such a thing. I am so happy and proud and thankful for all of the people who have supported me along the way. This promotion has been in the making since the summer of 2009, the year before I tested for First Degree, when things started getting serious for me in martial arts, and I am so proud to have reached this milestone.
The second part of the test consisted of one step sparring, breakfalling, ten judo throws, five knife defense techniques, two sparring matches, my breaking routine, the spirit test, and actually getting my belt. It was a good night and it went really well.
Testing during the heat wave of 2013 will always be a story. It was so hot and humid. I don't know how we all got through it. I drank an entire bottle of water and an entire bottle of propel. The humidity messed with our boards, and the air was just so thick by the end. It was crazy.
I got to the dojang an hour and a half early to get settled and warmed up. A little less than an hour before start time, people started trickling in, and I took off my headphones to talk to fellow martial artists. When it was time to start, I kind of felt like it snuck up on us, but in a good way because I wasn't harping on nerves or giving myself a chance to notice time.
We bowed into class then Master Ted spoke about the theses (mine got a special mention for being a favorite) and then each promotion candidate individually. Then we immediately went into the one steps. One step sparring is 40 defense techniques against a straight punch to the chin. I demonstrated all of the techniques with my partner, then the partners were sent away for us to do randoms, then we got back with our partners to do more with an opponent. It went well. I was prepared.
After one steps, he sent us to hydrate, and then we demonstrated our break falls in groups of two. It was fine; nothing out of the ordinary. Then we went into demonstrating our judo throws, also in groups of two (plus partners). I was in the first demonstration group, and my judo went well. I got all my throws, even the ones Master Ted asked me to do a variation of in which the throw ends with me on one knee instead of on my feet. I got the grips, too.
Following my hydration break while the rest of the group did their judo, I was first for weapons defense demonstration. My knife techniques were good, they went as practiced, and the only real critique I got was that I needed to kihap and scream more to elevate the emotional content of the performance. One of the masters said I blocked too early on one technique, but that's an easy fix. I am very proud of the years of work that went into that demonstration and so grateful to my instructor for working with me through all the hours of me making my uncomfortable face. It paid off tonight.
When I was done with knife, I got to sit and hydrate while getting my sparring gear on. I haven't worn my gear since March of 2011, so that was interesting. I had to refit my mouth guard over the weekend because I stopped wearing my retainers since the last time I sized it. I found that amusing in a sad/ironic sort of way. Anyhow, I only had two sparring matches and I think both of them were good. I got two head shots in the first round and he didn't score on me, and the second round was my favorite because I scored with a turning roundhouse kick to the head. It's kind of become my secret weapon/signature move, and it was my party goal to whip it out during this part of the test. Especially compared to the sparring at my last test, when I ate two powerful head shots, this was awesome.
Sparring was followed by breaking. I was third to break, and I honestly was so focused on my own test that I didn't really pay much attention to anyone else's breaking until the very end. My breaking went quite well. I got 7/10 breaks, which, considering the humidity, is pretty darn good. I am surprised that the three I didn't get didn't work, but I'm just going to blame the weather for that and not harp on it too much. I got my first two techniques really easily. The first was a two board skipping side kick, and the second was a knife hand strike. Then I missed my inverted knife and my stepping turning back kick (which I have never missed and I'm truly shocked that it didn't work). I got both of my double board elbow strikes (one with each elbow, one horizontal, one descending. The horizontal mimicked a technique in my knife defense, so it really showed how I can smash an attacker's face), missed my two board hopping front kick, and nailed my bottom fist strike. The last two techniques were flashy and awesome and perfect. I did a floating palm strike, which is a break where I hold the edge of the board and then break it with the palm of my hand. It is challenging, requires a ton of snap, and took me a few days of thumping on a piece of wood while I was sitting around the camp office to be able to do in the first place. I was so happy that one landed because it was the one that needed to be awesome for my routine to reach its full potential. I finished the routine with a two board flying axe kick. It was awesome. As I was cleaning up, Master Ted specifically came over to me at my bag in the corner to say that the floating palm was well done, and that was very nice.
Once the breaking was over and we cleaned up, the instructors returned from their conference to talk to us about the test. They wanted more spirit through kihap, which is a pretty standard request, and then we had our sprit test to get our belts. They set up this board and place our belts underneath boards for breaking that are set on top of cinderblocks. I had to do a two board descending palm strike to reach my belt, and I nailed it. Master Tina was practically waving her arms above her head to catch my eye and indicate that I did a good job. I was happy to have that moment with her.
To conclude, Sabumnim Melissa tied my belt on me, Master Ted said "you did it!" to me in a very excited manner, we bowed out, and then had hugs and pictures. It was so surreal to finally reach that moment of earning my new rank and having the test be over since I've been planning it literally for a year. I left the dojang feeling happy and loved.
I would be remiss if I did not shout out all the people who helped me get to this point. This may seem like just a list of names, but I'm trying to protect people's privacy. If you're here, you know what you did, and I just want to thank you again for supporting me above and beyond my wildest expectations. Melissa, Laurene, Squish, Grant, Murph, Ted, Tina, TJ, Maria.
Today is awesome I am officially a Second Degree Black Belt!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment