It’s already been a month! Four weeks into my internship, and the time has flown. I came straight from school into work without a day off. I missed finals week and even had to e-mail a paper in from home. It was weird. Now that I’m into the internship, and it’s going really well, I am somehow reaching the program’s halfway point. The finish line is in sight for most of my projects, and it’s been a great work experience so far.
Other things I’ve done since coming home...I went to a number of social events organized by one of the other interns that were pretty fun. I saw friends, went to an art fair and a baseball game, had some family dinners, and did a bit of shopping. I would say that I have explored significantly more areas of the city I grew up in on this visit than I usually do. I’ve also been swimming at the outdoor pool, which is my favorite part of summer.
I’m getting into listening to music again as I drive. Bands I now like are WALK THE MOON (who I heard at Dillo Day then bought their album) and Imagine Dragons. There’s just something I like about that indie-rock-electronic-not-quite-in-a-defined-genre sound. I’m also watching TV again, following Perception, Rizzoli and Isles, and Royal Pains, while enjoying reruns of shows like Castle that the channels marathon regularly. I’m reading a book called The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and The Bling Ring (concurrently). I have a copy of the new David Sedaris book to read next as recommended by YouTuber Tyler Oakley. That about covers media.
So, other than work and social time, I’ve been doing a fair amount of Tae Kwon Do (and by that I mean a lot of TKD). I am preparing for my second degree black belt test, which is in 5 days (eep!), so that’s been a major thing on my mind. I’ve been going to classes on Mondays and Saturdays and working very hard to be ready. I didn’t feel like I could actually do the test well until this past week, so I’m gaining confidence just in time. I still have to practice some more and figure who I’m going to do one-steps with, but I’ll be ready and it’ll be great. I have even driven to the martial arts supply warehouse to pick up my boards. I’m getting both nervous and excited about the test. For me the question is not so much if I’ll pass, but how I’ll pass, and I want to finish knowing I’ve done everything I could to do well. I want to be proud of my work and be able to smile as I tell the story. I hope I’m being harsher on myself than anyone else will be on me, but just in case my standards are accurate, I need to be ready. I’ll probably post some or all of my thesis here once I turn it in.
Basically, my summer is going really well. I’m keeping busy and having fun. I have a few more projects that I want to do (actually progressing with my senior thesis; finally editing the video I took in China) but I am quite content, even happy, with the status quo.
Today is awesome because of sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment