Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Smartphones and Pockets: A Rant

So...it's been a while. Life has been happening! Since I've last written, I took a trip to see the professional shows I worked on, moved into my own apartment, and started my job. I also got hired to be the lighting designer for a youth theater group and am doing a 5-show season. All is well. It was a time of planning and spreadsheets and execution of plans, and I'm actually quite happily stable right now. I just don't have the most robust social life, but that will come. I'm not worried.

But that's not what I want to talk about today. Today, I want to talk about the size of smartphones relative to the size of pockets in clothing.

It is no secret that I am super angry about the lack of useful pockets in women's clothing. Our pants pockets are so much shallower than male counterparts that I have seriously considered buying men's pants just for the pockets. I went as far as trying on a pair of jeans. I was that serious. Anyway, with the size of smartphones these days (the larger iPhones and the crazy huge Samsung phones), where are we supposed to put these devices? I can't fit my smaller iPhone in the pocket of the pants I'm wearing today, let alone attempting to fit a larger device. And even though these things are getting thinner and lighter, that doesn't mean they can fit in pockets.

So I'm going to propose a crazy solution: PUT BETTER POCKETS IN WOMEN'S CLOTHING! That means jeans, trousers, skirts, dresses, blazers, cardigans...everything. There is a disconnect between the technology industry and the fashion industry that needs to be reconciled.

I cannot feel my phone vibrate if it is in a purse. I don't even like carrying a purse. So give me decent pockets.

Today is awesome because it is nearly a long weekend.

1 comment:

  1. That's something that I always take for granted given that I am a man. But you bring up a good point--not every woman is going to carry a purse, and not every purse-carrier can feel or hear their phone in said purse.

    ReplyDelete