My school has an annual Mayfest tradition of Armadillo, or Dillo, Day. Dillo Day is the Saturday before reading week, and it is a full day of outdoor concerts and activities (like henna, face painting, making hemp bracelets, free food, etc.). This year, the concert lineup was the student band Why So White, The New Pornographers, Chiddy Bang, Peter Bjorn and John, Kill the Noise, N.A.S.A., student DJ Guns and Sons, and B.o.B. It was a really fun day when everyone relaxed and let the stress of school go while enjoying being outdoors (when it wasn't raining :P) and listening to live music.
When things went well, I decided that I "won" Dillo Day (even though you can't really "win" and event, especially one that isn't a contest). Here are five wins from Dillo Day (in no particular order):
1. I took bubbles with me. They were fun for me, my friends enjoyed them, and a bunch of random people got excited to chase them, asked to have a turn blowing bubbles, and I even got an offer to trade my bubbles for a glow necklace.
2. I packed intelligently. When it started raining, I had an umbrella and jacket in my backpack, so the walk home wasn't unpleasant. After returning to my room, I changed into rainboots and shifted my necessary belongings into the pockets of my raincoat and my fanny pack (they are totally in for events like this!), and was able to enjoy the rest of the day without having to carry a bag.
3. I was with a great group of people. I went to my friends' apartment for brunch at 10AM, after which we went to the first concert (The New Pornographers). When it rained, we went back to their place to watch a movie (Risky Business), have dinner, and then go back for the last concert (B.o.B). It was just fun and relaxing to be with them.
4. I realized how many people I've met this year!! When the majority of the student population is at an event, you realize how many people are part of the university community. However, I was happily surprised to continually run into people I knew from various places. Chance encounters with friends make me acknowledge that I truly have made a place for myself here.
5. I let myself forget about the schoolwork that is still left before I can go home for the summer. It was so freeing to let it all go for a day, but now it's back to work.
Today is awesome because, despite the rain, I had an amazing first Dillo Day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment