I'm at a loss for how to share what's going on right now. There's a lot that happens with the beginning of a new school year, and I'm feeling a little inconsequential on the internet. Short statuses don't really encapsulate the human experience, and I'm feeling like if someone want's to know what's actually up in my life, they should take the time to read a few paragraphs on this blog. The whole quick update thing makes me feel at once self-centered and inconsequential, because what can I say to both express myself and catch your attention for long enough to think of me as something more than annoying? That's why I blog; not for readers, but to keep things flowing in a way that feels more genuine. It's like I'm writing a letter to a reader who actually cares, less of a shout into the void.
After that slightly morbid introduction, I have to say things are pretty awesome right now! I'm taking four fascinating classes, have an amazing group of friends around campus and in my dorm, and I just feel really good about how things are going right now.
So, classes. I've got Demystifying Classical Music, which is all about listening and appreciating and I have to go to ten performances; Modern Jewish Literature, which is reading and discussing and writing relating to amazing novels and short stories; Population Dynamics, which is a sociology class on demography that will be super interesting; and, finally, School and Society, which is another sociology class about the way the educational system is a vehicle for social reproduction. I think I'm most excited because my classes all have TOPICS and aren't simply a primer on how to conduct research that will happen in the future external to that particular classroom experience.
Now that I have my syllabi, I know my homework load and the logistics of Thanksgiving and finals, so that's good for planning. I spent a long time getting organized tonight despite the mountain of reading that was assigned today for Wednesday. I'm glad to be organized, but I didn't really get to reading until 9:00, so now that I'm tired and still have a lot to do, I'm eager to get to the point in the week when I can start reading for next week.
I had lunch with a Nerdfighter today, and that was really cool. It was the first time I'd met her, and she was super nice. I was happy to get to talk with her. There are also so many new students who are asking me about how to get involved in theater, which is really cool to be a resource for. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about the logistics of joining technical theater, and I also understand how non-majors want to and can get involved. It's neat to be the person being asked for advice.
On that note, it's also really odd to be a junior. How can I be in my third year?!?!? I feel kind of old when I look at the freshmen, and it doesn't help that I'm one of five in my year who live in my dorm. It doesn't feel very different from sophomore year, but there are bigger things that I'm worrying about now, like what comes after college and getting internships and jobs and professional experience, all while maintaining grades, work-life balance, and time to have fun.
I did set a silly and sad goal for myself this quarter. Silly because it's so simple, but sad because it's necessary. The goal is this: do not injure my right wrist during fall quarter. The past two years I have hurt that hand, once sprain and one break, but I have vowed to sustain no new damages to that body part. It's sore enough from last year as it is.
So, that's a rambly update on how classes and junior year are. Thanks for caring enough to read. I'm also approaching 3000 views on my blog, so that's exciting, and I'm really proud to have produced enough content that I have earned such readership. I write for myself, but I put it out there for you, and it feels good to know that someone hears my shout into the void.
Today is awesome because I've had all my classes and am organized for the quarter.
No comments:
Post a Comment