Sunday, January 27, 2013

How is it already the end of January?

This past month went ridiculously quickly. I've been really busy, but pretty content with the way things are. The breakdown of my time has been Internship, My Fair Lady (MFL), and Midnight's Dream (MD).

Internship:
I'm working at the children's hospital's violence prevention program. My project is youth engagement with filling in the contact database on the side. In three weeks, I have made significant progress on my project, come to understand the work environment a lot better, and by week three my expectations and reality met. This coming week is going to be pretty busy/exciting at work with presenting my plan to various leaders, and I'm looking forward to the next stages of the project. My favorite thing is not having homework, and that's something that is never accounted for timewise. Students do most of their work outside of class, and that's a really hard thing to have to do. I like leaving my work at work and picking it up in the morning. I can legitimately and guiltlessly relax in the evenings, which is refreshing. It does, however, stink that I miss so much of the collegiate social life because I'm going to sleep and waking up early.

MFL:
This year's January Musical has been really different from Ragtime and 42nd Street. The last two years, I've been on campus, taking classes, and spending all my free time in the space. I was a lot less able to be there because of my internship, which made me feel more disconnected from the process. They also hung all the lights over winter break, so the main thing that I signed up for was over by the time I returned. The show itself is a spectacle, and my favorite thing is the orchestra. I want to play in the pit next year, and it's going to take a lot of work to get there, but I want to do it. Overall, a positive experience.

MD:
I'm going into tech today. This is a project I've been on since last spring when the producer and I would walk to and from class in a far building three times a week. I'm very excited to hang out with this crowd for a week, and I feel significantly more invested in this project than pretty much everything else I've done this year. We've had some cast/team hangouts, and those were really fun, so it'll be nice to be in the space together. It's the first tech week for which I can't wear my merch all day every day, and that's a little sad to me in a nostalgic for my younger days kind of way.

In addition to the theater and work, I'm in a mentoring program for global health, and that's going well. I like my group, and we're discussing things that are actually relevant to my life.


I honestly don't have all that much to write about. I mean, the last couple of weekends have been fun, but other than that, my life is pretty standard. I had a great time hanging out and laughing with friends at MFL, in DM meetings, at parties, and in the dorm. It was really great to see my significant alumni this past weekend, and there's just been a lot of smiles while I see the people I care about. I've been busy and tired (going to sleep at 4 and 5 AM on the weekends does not balance well with waking up at 7 on the weekdays), but I'm very well.

Today is awesome because MD is finally starting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment