Tuesday, September 10, 2013

WALK THE MOON Concert

I went to see WALK THE MOON play in the House of Blues last night. It was awesome. My favorite part of the concert was how obvious it was that these musicians were just having fun playing together and loving how much we in the crowd were loving their music. They played for more than an hour, sounded fantastic, and made me very happy.

Their lighting was so much fun. They had the standard HOB plot of highly saturated gelled pars above the stage and movers above the stage, from the house, and floor mounted on the stage. However, the best part was their LED trees (literally metal trees in the same design as their album art with LEDs of all colors embedded) which are entirely theirs and the crowd blinders that were either part of their tour or special for our venue. They were 4x4 square LED movers that had all the colors and were super bright and super fun and I want them for Dance Marathon. I have to figure out what they were. They were very exciting. I like concert lighting and it's the only designed stage lighting I've seen since I designed Wrestlepocalypse. So it's been a while. I definitely still love it and am very excited to get back to theater in a few weeks.

The opening band was a group from Boston called Magic Man. Their EP dropped today, and I actually liked them a lot. I got to talk to the lead singer and the guitarist after the show, and they were pretty cool. Yale alumni. They named the band after an experience they had while studying abroad in France. These two were at a circus festival in the French countryside and they met a guy who introduced himself as "the magic man," but he was the worst magician ever. So they named the band after him.

Being at an all ages show in my hometown on a Monday night was a strange experience. There were a lot of teens/tweens with their moms, teenage hipsters, and adults older than me. I was expecting a more college aged crowd because there are so many universities in the area, but apparently not for this show. Downtown was pretty active before the show, but it was nothing like my college city at night after the show. The are felt pretty safe, well lit, patrolled, clean, etc., but it was empty once everything closed. And everything closed by 10. All in all, I'm plus-minus on that vibe.

I had such a great time at that concert. I want to see them play again. They put on a great show and have so much fun themselves that if you were in the audience and didn't have a good time, you were actively trying to be a sourpuss.

I am going out of chronological order with these blogs because this is the first big social activity I have done since returning from Israel. I am going to write an overview blog about my trip (the one-word summary: AWESOME), but I want to gather my thoughts some more because there was a lot that happened in those 10 days. So, Israel stories upcoming.

Today is awesome because it had just become today when I got home from the concert, so I can still say today is awesome because of WALK THE MOON.

No comments:

Post a Comment