It is no secret that I am kind of obsessed with the BBC television program Doctor Who. I have been a fan for about three years now, I am well versed in the canon and mythology of the series, and I can name all 13 actors who have portrayed this iconic character. I collect TARDISes, my current count is at 12 (4 buttons, 3 drinkware, 2 posters, 2 consecutive phone cases, and 1 t-shirt). As a good fangirl, I know things about the Whoniverse that I have not personally watched yet, such as costume pieces and personality traits of older Doctors or the world of Torchwood. Some of that has changed over break.
I have a friend at college who decided to watch Torchwood, the Doctor Who spinoff series. She had not watched Doctor Who yet, and it still completely baffles me that any component of Torchwood could possibly make sense to her. So, over winter break, I decided to watch Torchwood to be able to fully grasp the details that she was talking about, and at the same time she began watching Doctor Who.
This is the scenario: two friends in different states watching each others' shows that exist in the same universe. Long-distance fangirling ensued via texting and all forms of social media. It was fantastic. Here are some excerpts from our conversations:
"I just can't. I think I'm in love with Captain Jack. Is this what love feels like?"
"ugh. I am just so attracted to captain jack in different ways depending on which show I'm watching"
"Yes! sorcery of the Barrowman-Davies partnership. Making everybody fall in love."
"I don't think you realize I am actually crying tears of happiness. Happy winter break, everyone. If you need me I'll be binge watching any and everything John Barrowman."
"To which I say, welcome to the Whoniverse :)"
"I'm upset that jack and rose searches result in titanic. I JUST WANT BIG BEN."
"Silly titanic. So 1997. We want pretty British television stills."
"How on earth do you understand references like 'great big spaceship on Christmas' or 'the battle of canary wharf' or 'cybermen?' It's so Who.
"YOU SAW THE FIRST EPISODE WITHOUT KNOWING JACK CANT DIE
"OR THE SIGNIFICANCE OF CARDIFF"
"Lol I just put my head in my hands looked at the projection of jack and sighed.
I am a parody of myself"
"HAHAHAHAHAHA
"That's a fairly normal reaction"
"He's just
"Perfect
"And such a scoundrel as a con man"
"Pure charm and charisma"
"I've decided that Torchwood is Doctor Who's sexy cousin"
"Oh. Of course it is. It's Doctor Who with an amped up sex drive."
"DALEKS?!"
"It's always daleks."
"Vote Saxon. Signs in Torchwood. This series is a lot like Angel. Especially relative to Buffy.
"THAT WAS THE TARDIS!!!!! I'm so done. All kinds of can't even going on over here."
"HAHAHAHAHA"
"If captain jack is an addiction I'm not sure I ever want to be cured. Also just watched queen Victoria start torchwood"
"TOSHIKO AND OWEN. I AM LITERALLY CRYING. THERE ARE TEARS ON MY FACE. So much for season two."
"I may have just written a dr who or torchwood line into my play by accident. Lol oops."
"Possibly the best thing I've heard today"
"I am weeping
"The doctor is weeping
"Rose is weeping
"We are all promptly weeping"
And then there's some sharing on tumblr and sending each other pics and videos and links. But you get the picture.
The thing that totally amazed me throughout this back and forth is that despite time and space, we could enjoy these series together. We were watching each others' shows, enjoying them immensely, and instantly communicating our moments of surprise, joy, sorrow, and general reactions. It was the evolution of fandom members in realtime across media platforms. It was so 21st century, and so much fun.
Today is awesome because there will be a new episode of Doctor Who tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment