Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Adverts and Britons

The thing I love about not having a TV at school is that I no longer watch hour-long programs that are 25% commercials. I hate adverts (yes I'm breaking my own rule and using a British term). The problem I'm having is that ads are everywhere, not just on TV. They're on Google, YouTube, Facebook, Blogs (not mine, but still), in my e-mail, on the ground at school. I can't escape and I hate the constant feeling of people, corporations, and institutions trying to manipulate my decisions.

This has been most tiring recently on Facebook. Many of my friends do theater; not a big deal. There is always an event for each show and promotional event; also not a big deal. Where it starts getting tricky is when these events are coming up and every status on my newsfeed is a friend advertising his or her production. I know what you're doing; you don't need to flash it in my face every time I log on to see what's new in people's lives.

What happened to Facebook being purely social? We all got upset when there started being ads and schools and corporations on the site, so how is advertising an event at a university any different than spamming my TV shows with minute upon minute of commercials? I'm getting tired of it.

The reason this post is titled "Adverts and Britons" is (a) because I think of my British friend from middle school using the word "adverts" and I always liked it; (b) since I wrote about advertising, the adverts part makes sense; and (c) because the word "advert" makes me think of British people, which makes me think of Doctor Who, which has the season 6 premiere next Saturday. 10 days until the return of the Doctor, Amy, Rory, and the TARDIS (which is the embodiment of Einstien's theories, but that's another story).

This week has been really weird. I've been living in perpetual Wednesdays, so while everything is good, something is just off.

Today is awesome because I was very productive in my fortress of solitude (and that took a really long time to think of...see the weirdness of my week?).

No comments:

Post a Comment