Monday, April 4, 2011

Mysteries and Not Wearing Pants

I think it started when I was really little with the Mary-Kate and Ashely series of mysteries. These videos were kid-friendly detective stories with girls I could relate to as the detectives. And they were musical. What more could I want?


My love of mysteries took a literary turn at the end of eighth grade when I began reading Agatha Christie. In my English class, we had read And Then There Were None, which was the creepiest thing in the world, yet I loved it. Since it was still middle school, we had a creative project for our Agatha Christie unit, and I, along with two of my friends, made an original puppet show in her style. I wrote the script, one girl made the puppet theater, the other made the puppets, and we all voice-acted. My story was called "Poirot Nodded" and we made sure that the puppet could nod, since this was a phrase Christie used a lot. After that unit, I read a different Agatha Christie book each week for probably six or seven weeks. That's a lot of books!

Nowadays, I enjoy mystery television shows. My favorites are NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, and Doctor Who. These aren't classic whodunnits like the others, but they're still really good.

Why does my love of mystery fiction matter? Well, I like to think it has helped me be a better problem-solver in real life. I think about the types of "evidence" I leave behind and use the "clues" to figure out, say, where my lip balm is. Did I have it in a backpack? Which one? My pocket? What was I wearing? When did I use it? That type of thing.

I also use my detective skills to determine medical causation. For instance, I currently have a mystery bruise on a very strange part of my foot, the arch/instep area. I found it on Sunday around 2:00, and I know that it wasn't there on Saturday. With this reasoning, I know that it's source is either from something theatrical I did on Sunday or from somebody stepping on my foot at my dorm's formal on Saturday night. See? Detective work.

Ok. Random ranty blog done.

I want to thank any of you who have consistently been reading what I write. I have 1,055 views on my blog, and it makes me feel so accomplished to have created content that over a thousand people have cared enough to look at. I will probably keep informing you of my stats because it never ceases to amaze me that anyone at all would want to read my content. Thank you.

Today is awesome because I didn't wear pants (which is really my way of saying I wore a skirt, but it just sounds funnier to say it the other way).

No comments:

Post a Comment