There's a really good quotation from Paper Towns by John Green about how good it feels to leave a place permanently. I would love to share that quotation, but all my books are packed in boxes to be moved. I hate packing. And I'm packing to go away for a week, for the move to school, and the move out of my house (which is a permanent leaving that I can totally handle).
Basically, I love being at college. I have an amazing life there and every day is busy and exciting (well, most days anyway). I've been home since mid-June, and things were great: I got to see family and friends who I don't get to see as often anymore. However, I did not enjoy my summer job and once that ended I got bored. I really miss being constantly social and having things to do every day.
My problem is the liminal nature of my life. I am on the border of real world adulthood having just passed from adolescence. I live both at school and at home, and I have amazing people in both places. Because any leaving I do is impermanent, it's harder because I have to say goodbye to my friends multiple times every year. It is emotionally taxing because I really miss people, and my friends are the most important group in my life.
So, I am SUPER excited to go back to school on Saturday. I'm also really sad to be saying goodbye to the amazing people I've been with all summer. I really wish I had my book so I could find that quotation. I didn't realize that I'd still want Paper Towns and Harry Potter for reference purposes :/
Today is awesome because there was a caller request on the radio for a Backstreet Boys song, and they played one. Such memories from grade school...
No comments:
Post a Comment