Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vlogging vs. Blogging

I've found that I've traded vlogging for blogging. I initially made videos because I was inspired by John and Hank Green (vlogbrothers) and the fiveawesomegirls. When an older friend went to college and the rest of us were still home, we made a collaborative channel to be a sort of penpal system. It worked for about two years, but then we stopped making videos around the time I started blogging.

I don't really mind that I blog instead of vlog. It's easier for me to think through the things I want to say when I'm writing rather than talking. When I vlogged, I didn't write a script because I didn't want to put in that kind of effort, so things were often incoherent. However, I do enjoy making videos, particularly because they capture the multidimensional and dynamic nature of life and the experiences that I'm trying to capture.

I like blogging because I enjoy the written word. When I have the time to think through the type of language I want to use when I communicate, I find that I choose words that fit together in a way that looks, sounds, and feels good to read and say. I love choosing words, so writing informally as myself is really fun for me.

Vlogging and Blogging have many things in common. For instance, dramatic titles and tags tend to generate more views. On the vlog, one of my friends posted a video called "Sleepover Humiliation," and it generated way more views than any other video we had posted so far. My most viewed blog posts are titled "5 Ways I Won Armadillo Day," followed by "To the Seniors," and "5 Things I Hadn't Done Until I Came to College." I think it's pretty easy to see why these seem more interesting than a post with a date or a BEDA number.

I'm super into blogging right now because it's a way for me to make a statement about something that's on my mind or happening in my life. I like being able to say something, know that somebody reads it or has the opportunity to read it, and that I can look back on old posts to see what was up a year ago (at least I'll be able to do that in December). It's fun!

Today is awesome because I had a really nice visit with my Great-Grandmother. She's so awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment