Saturday, November 5, 2011

Today was Made of Awesome

Every bit of today was awesome.

I slept until 10:00, and then woke up and had a text from my dad of my 3-month ultrasound (the picture of my mom's ultrasound of me that was taken 6 months before I was born). I had given them a hard time about finding my brother's first, so I was happy they found mine, too. I called them and chatted for a little while.

After that conversation, I got dressed and went to Barnes and Noble to buy a new copy of The Wanderer by, Sharon Creech. Then I got back to my room in time for an 11:00 skype date with my friend who is studying abroad in Paris and I haven't talked to her since she got there. We were online for an hour and a half, and it was so great to catch up!!

Then I ate lunch, did some homework, and left to get her copy of Love That Dog by, Sharon Creech from her apartment.

Notice a Sharon Creech pattern?

Well, at 2:45 I met a group to go to the premiere of a stage adaptation of Walk Two Moons by, you guessed it, Sharon Creech. And she was there.

A bit of backstory: I read all of her books when I was in 3-6 grade. The Wanderer was my first and favorite, so I wanted a copy for her to sign. It was the first non-Harry Potter, non-fantasy long novel I read, it's a 300-page book, so it gave me a lot of confidence as a reader, and it was one of the books that made me love to read.

I ended up going to the event because of some friends. One of the main Theater for Young Audiences (TYA) professors was taking a group to this show and he had extra tickets. My friend who is in the class was telling me about going to the show, and I had said how jealous I was, and another friend heard. The second friend is stage managing for the professor in the winter, and was having a meeting with him yesterday morning, and he invited her to go. She told him that she wasn't able to go, but she had a friend who loves Sharon Creech (me). She called me on the spot, in his office, and I got the voicemail after my class, so I went over to the theater building, met the professor, and got to go with the group.

So, the play was amazing. The acting, set, lighting, adaptation: all fabulous. I enjoyed the performance so much!! And then I got to get my book and my friend's book signed. There's something about meeting a person whose artistic work you admire, be it an author, musician, or YouTube star, that is so cool because they go from being an abstract idea of a person, just the creator, to being real and in front of you. I really value the opportunity I had to tell Sharon Creech how much her books influenced me and the fact that she took the time to connect with each person as she signed their books. It was just wonderful!!

I spent the evening with a friend. We made butternut squash soup, cookies, and just got to chill.

Today was relaxed. I got to take a break from the constant demands of school life and just do things that made me happy. Tomorrow, I have to go back to being crazy busy with a strike, a build, errands that I can't do any other time, and homework, but today was just a complete change from the normal routine. I even got a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks.

Today is awesome because...well, did you read this post?--Everything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment