My friend David always makes fun of me for saying I'm excited about things. But he's wrong. I should be excited about things because if I'm not, then there's not much point in doing those things. I like that things I've done for years like theater and tae kwon do can still be awesome unique experiences for me, and while I'm sort of getting burnt out about doing school, the topics of my classes are still super interesting.
My freshman year, I found that there are two states of baseline positive emotion: content and happy. Content is when things just roll along and are generally good. Happy, though, is the holy grail of states in which the specific things I'm doing are all awesome and instead of just puttering along, I'm jumping from awesome thing to awesome thing.
When I have people and things to be excited about, that's when I transition from content to happy. I can be satisfied with content for intervals of time, but happy is where I like to be, and if that means I say that I'm excited about things all the time, then so be it. It's better than being neutral or dreading them.
Today is awesome because of How I Met Your Mother and Wendy's Frostys. Oh, and this is 221st post. That's a milestone.
No comments:
Post a Comment