This episode. So good. So epic. Everything I wanted.
I really like the way it referenced the Pond plot. In previous transitions, it was more of a moving on and less haunting for the Doctor, so to have the impact of Amy and Rory be apparent was wonderful. I like the monster. Psychic snow was both terrifying because snow is so common and because it deals with the darkness of humankind.
Characters:
Doctor was moody and flirty. Didn't love it, but it was a phase. Things were back to normal by the end, and the next season should be great.
Strax was the best thing ever. He is so funny and deserves a miniseries or something.
Madame Vastra and Jenny were fantastic. I loved that their marriage was just a fact and stated to be normal and moral rather than unseemly as Dr. Simeon implied. They were clever and adventurous and awesome.
Clara Oswin Oswald. The impossible girl who died twice. Souffle girl. So great. She is spunky, plucky, clever, persistent, and mysterious. I like the way she matches the Doctor in adventurousness and often challenges him. She is going to be a great companion.
And Dr. Simeon was discussed above.
There were so many wonderful moments in this episode. Bow ties, introduction to the TARDIS, "run you clever boy and remember," Strax's humor, return of souffle girl, and the implication of epicness to come. POND! Sherlock crossover. Punch and Judy.
I did not like the new opening credits very much. I liked the way the actor names appeared, but the new version of the time vortex wasn't my cup of tea, nor did I enjoy having the doctor's face there. I did like the new TARDIS interior. The design is sleek, futuristic, clean, more polished and less organic than the previous sets that had strange vertical bits. I liked that it used to look like the inside of a brain, but the change is a good re-imagining.
Overall, wonderful episode. I really enjoyed it. It lived up to my expectations and the hype, and I can't wait for the rest of the season!!
Today is awesome because I saw Les Mis in the morning (will review tomorrow) and got my Doctor Who special at night!
No comments:
Post a Comment