I'm taking a course called "Analysis and Performance of Literature." It is freaking awesome, but puzzles me so much because it's so different from anything I have ever taken. Every single course except for this one has been within the college of arts and sciences at my university, but this one is from the school of communication. Comm is just a completely different mindset in class than arts and sciences.
We started our first class by playing games. This never happens and it was awesome! Then we took attendance and my prof did an example of the first type of performance we have to do, a personal narrative. I wrote mine about Tae Kwon Do because it's something important to me and it's fairly unique. We then watched a short film called Drunk Germans and did a critique of it. Tonight (right after I write this) I'm going to the mandatory performance hour where we will see former students perform the types of pieces we will have to do this quarter.
I am thoroughly puzzled by and in love with this class. It's adding amazing balance to my schedule because it is so different from the serious formal lectures I've been attending, and it's a lot like Forensics, which is something I love to bits. I'm excited to see where this goes.
Another class that's staying with me outside the classroom is my physics class, but for a very different reason. I listen to nerdy music; this is not a secret, but when I'm reading and I come across a word that's in a science-related song, the song gets stuck in my head. I've been walking around with "Strange Charm" and "Fermi Paradox," both by Hank Green, stuck in my head. The first song is about quarks and the second is about, you guessed it, the Fermi Paradox (Given the size of the universe, there must be other living beings, so why can't we find them?). They are catchy and make the complex concepts make sense, and I appreciate that, but I can't continue with these in my head. They are starting to drive me nuts.
My other classes are great. My English professor is a strong believer in technology/the internet and is giving us the option of doing a project to go on her professional website about Victorian Drama instead of writing a paper, and my Sociology class on Global Health and Transnational Social Movements is amazing so far. We've begun by discussing Haiti and Partners in Health, which are topics I find fascinating.
I just wanted to write about school while it's still new and exciting.
And if anyone is wondering, I will not be doing BEDA.
Today is awesome because I'm feeling inspired.
No comments:
Post a Comment