Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dillo Day 2012: Wins and Fails (and Pocs)

Last year at this time, I wrote a blog post entitled "5 Ways I Won Armadillo Day." Well, tonight (this morning?) I'm going to reprise that idea, but update it for a new year and a new me (the me that had evolved over the past year. It's a landmark reflective event, ok?).

Wins:
Being part of Pocs. It is probably one of the best decisions I have made, and it is an entity entirely its own. Not necessarily my proudest artistic theater experience (because that's not the nature of the show, nor does it try to be that), it is certainly a team I would do anything with and want to work with constantly. There was no divide between cast and crew, and the spirit of the show, the energy of the audience, and the enthusiasm and commitment of all those invovled is truly inspiring and joy to partake in. I want to throw out a special shout out to Brad, Skittles, Jon, Jesus, Greg, Jeremy, Aaron, Nate, and Josh, for being awesome. It was an amazing tech week, a freaking awesome show, and something I never want to leave. Additionally, it was so fun to meet/hang out with the Pocs alumni. It's really a "Pocs Family" in that we have all given so much of ourselves to making this crazy show for the past six years and iterations. I love this thing that we do!

Seeing all of my friends. I feel like I did not miss seeing anyone, even the random people I am peripherally friendly with. I went to three separate group of friends' gatherings before the concerts started, hit the concerts with yet another group, and finished the day with dinner, the final concert, and ice cream with yet another group. All wonderful people, which made for a fantastic day.

The weather was perfect. When the concerts started, it was hot and sunny, and it did not rain all day, though it did cool off later.

I liked the bands I saw: Cold War Kids and Reel Big Fish.

I never felt tired.

There were lots of hugs and smiles.

I made new friends.

I was totally myself.

Fails:
Despite wearing SPF 50 Zinc Oxide under SPF 15 makeup on my face, I have a ridiculous sunburn. First of the season, but this is painful, man! The good news is that my arms have gone to their summer color I like to call "chocolate chip cookie golden brown and delicious" but there's an overlay of that pink-red sunburn color. Head start on the tan? Getting aloe in the morning.

I did not stay for the secret dance party.

I did not get sleep at either end of the day. From Friday 9AM to Sunday 2AM (that's 41 hours), I was asleep for 3 of them. And there's Pocs strike on Sunday at noon, so not much sleeping going on. Yes, I feel fine, but my body needs to readjust.

My bubbles didn't work. I learned that year-old bubble solution is not very effective.

Hydration was a bit of an issue.

Quote of the day: "It's only awkward when you make it awkward"

Basically, I had a totally awesome day with amazing people after a fantastic tech week for an indescribable show that has left me with an incomparable happy afterglow. What a weekend!

Today is awesome because of everything you have just read.

No comments:

Post a Comment