Monday, July 11, 2011

HARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTER!!!!!

If you couldn't tell from the title of this blog, I'm super excited for the Harry Potter premiere. I'm actually going to a midnight showing in costume AND I'm playing wizard rock at the theater before it starts, so it's basically a dream come true. As the mainstream production of this series comes to an end, those of us who are pretty deep in the fandom feel a conflicted sadness because, on the one hand, HP will no longer be in the forefront of the public consciousness in the same way ever again, but, on the other hand, there will still be wizard rock, cons, fan sites, and the community of fans that has been growing since the series came out.

My preparation has consisted of listening to nonstop wizard rock, practicing on my guitar, and prepping my costume. I'm not really letting myself think of this movie as an ending because "no matter what the last [film--formerly "book"] implies, the fun isn't over, so save your good-byes" (Lauren Fairweather, "Post-Potter Depression").

Last week, Lauren Fairweather released an album she has been working on for quite a while now. It's a solo wizard rock album called "The Prince's Tale," and chronicles Snape's memories in the chapter of Deathly Hallows with the same name.

It is the best wizard rock album I have ever heard.

Lauren was able to get to the emotional core of each memory, tell the story, and make me feel what the characters were feeling, all in 10 songs. I love the way the songs alternate between Lily and Snape's points of view. And I love every single song on that album, both individually and as part of the entire album. It's rare for me to love every song because I usually find myself skipping at least one or two.

I think the thing I appreciate most about this musical work is the instrumentation. It is guitar, ukulele, bass, drums, banjo, and clarinet. I never expected the clarinet parts, but they add so much to the overall sound of the album, and it's actually my favorite part.

So, I have faith in the fandom. We'll still be here after this film, after the Pottermore hype dies down (because I don't think that's going to be quite as big as everyone is anticipating), and we'll always be ready to welcome the next generation of fans.

Today is awesome because this is a week when everyone is as excited about Harry Potter as I am on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment