Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Day...Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yes, I'm postponing my Harry Potter post. Today was just too strange not to write about.

So, things started out normally. I woke up, ate breakfast, and went to the pool. However, it was 80 degrees outside at 8AM.

After my lovely 1000 meter swim (and I swam all thousand meters without stopping, which I've never done before. I usually breathe after 500 or 600), I went to work. I knew it was going to be hot today, so that wasn't a big deal.

The morning went by pretty normally. I did some emailing, some typing, and finished the Survivor activity I made for the campers. Lunch was fine, and then we went into the afternoon. More desk time, then at 2:00, the former camp director arrived to visit before the evening activity he volunteered to run.

This man is 68 years old and was the camp director when I was a camper. He remembered me instantly when I answered the phone for the first time, and it was so great to see him.

So, he got there, I signed him in, walked some campers to the pool, and went back to the office to wait for the next visitor to arrive at 3:00. Sometime between 2 and 3, the current camp director left to make a trip up to the nature center to get a tree finder book for tomorrow's activity. I signed in the visitors, took them down to the pool, was about to get in, when the power went out at camp. No swimming in the pool. So, the director is out, there are visitors on campus, and someone needs to escort the former camp director around since the assistant director who was with him has to deal with the power outage.

I got to spend the afternoon with my former camp director. And we went on a hike through the woods in the 110 degree heat (this is from the weather.com real feel analysis; it was actually 97, which isn't much better). It was great to spend time with him, but when we finished that walk, I was dripping with sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray. Ew.

I rinsed off in the bathhouse, got changed, and left for Tae Kwon Do class. I got to the dojang early, as usual, and we trained in tee shirts today because of the heat. When I walked into the room, the fans were on, and the Tuesday/Thursday instructor never uses the fans. Ever.

She offered to let me train in the shorts I was wearing, and I tied on my belt and started stretching, then it was too emotionally weird to be training in shorts, so I put on my pants despite the heat. It felt more serious and respectful of what we were doing to be in half the uniform rather than none of it.

In the before class time, I worked on my knife defense with my instructor. We've been working for a couple weeks now, and I benefit so much from those training sessions.

I think the quote of the day is, "Steph, for a person who doesn't like violence very much, you take to it quite nicely."

After half class (shortened for the heat), we went down the street for coffee, then I finally got to be in my air conditioned home after being out for 12 hours.

It was the most well-deserved shower of my life.

Today is awesome because of how random everything was AND because I designed tomorrow's camp activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment