Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer 2011 and Some Book Reviews

So, I haven't blogged in about a month because there's been nothing to say.

I got home, went straight to work, and haven't really had time to do much of anything. I have an arduously long commute every day to an uneventful workday followed by TKD classes in the evenings. This keeps me busy for 12 hours outside my house in a constant go-mode. My work week is strange because of the way the camp sessions fall, so I don't get to spend much time with my friends. I'm living in a state of general discontent rather than the general happiness that was my school life.

Last week, my dog died, so I'm dealing with that. It really sucks, but I'm getting better. He was old, it was his time, but I'm still sad about it. I did some writing when the emotions were really raw, and maybe I'll share some of that later.

Tae Kwon Do classes are the highlight of my week. They are a time when I get to do something I love in a place where I feel valued. Tonight I was singled out for some leadership in class, and that felt amazing. When I'm in class, I forget all of the lifesuck that's been going on this summer, and I can just train. And I get to hit stuff. It's really the best thing for me.

I've done a bit of reading this summer, and all three books I've read this month have been amazing. The first one I read was The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. It was a WWII story from the American perspective, and it followed a doctor, his wife, the postmistress of a small town on the Massachusetts Cape, and a radio journalist. The plots were masterfully interwoven to tell an emotional and relevant story.

The second book I read was Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I don't really need to go into the awesomeness of this humorous apocalypse novel simply because it can be inferred from the authors. I even loved reading the authors' notes. These two have a great narrative voice and I loved all the components of their story.

Finally, I read a book today that I can't really talk about because I read an advance reader's copy.

Basically, I miss my friends. I miss having time for myself to relax (other than all this reading, but I've been doing that to avoid boredom). I miss feeling like I have a place in the community where I spend most of my time. I'm ready for the unscheduled time in August/September and the transition to sophomore year.

Today is awesome because I read a really good book. (See? Even when life isn't 100% happy and wonderful, there's something awesome in every day)

No comments:

Post a Comment