I guess I should write my reflections on the show now that it's getting to be old news (as in, strike was three days ago). For the record, the show was Ragtime. I don't think I've named it yet, but I'm tired of calling it "the show."
So, I learned a LOT during this process, and I didn't really realize it until we took everything apart. Practically, I learned what the instruments are, how to hang lights, cable an electric, label the cable, clove-hitch knot, cut gel, load/unload gel scrollers, focus lights, use a genie, use the fly rail, communicate effectively with the rest of the technical team (as in, shouting "heads" if I drop something), and work the ion (a really awesome and intelligent light board). I've also gotten a lot more comfortable with heights from working in the genie, on ladders, and in the box booms and cove, and I have better awareness of the space around my body.
This week, I've been hanging around the build for another student theater production, and when the lighting designer (who I hadn't met until I randomly showed up) gave me instructions, I knew what to do. I didn't realize or appreciate how much instruction I got during the Ragtime process until I applied my knowledge in a new setting. What Ragtime did in two weeks, this new show had to do in two days, so there wasn't enough time to fully instruct each newbie on how to do each task. However, I apparently went from working on the most professional student production to helping create the sketchiest rig for hanging a light (we literally tied milk crates to a table), and the scale of the productions is just totally different because of the performance spaces.
Other personal changes as a result of Ragtime include getting into student theater in general, changing my sleep schedule (I never made it a habit of staying up until 5AM two consecutive Saturdays...maybe that was a mistake? But it was a fun mistake), carrying supplies for builds in my everyday backpack, making an effort to do my reading outside my dorm room, I met a whole bunch more people, and I now think like a lighting person. The word focus makes me think of moving the barrel of a Source Four and I am tempted to climb mysterious ladders. I also have changed my risk assessment criteria. For example, I'm fairly comfortable focusing a light while atop a big scary ladder or standing on the ledge of a balcony. Does theater make me stupid? I think so. I also decided that a really good book to write in the future would be entitled "Tales from the Tech Table" and would consist of fun anecdotes from a bunch of shows the author has worked on.
In other news, I'm going to be the Master Electrician (ME) for a show in May, so that's exciting because I'm working under Ragtime's ME and I get a fancy title. We had a snow day in college, which I never expected to happen, but as a result a midterm got postponed. I'm getting my own wrench on Friday and I'm super psyched to have my own that I can set up with a clip and some phone cord to use for eternity on every show I work on in any capacity. And I got to play my guitar today, which I haven't done for a while because I've been busy.
So, yeah...life is good. I'm keeping busy doing things I love.
Today is awesome because I got to relax and ride out the snowpocalypse in a very cozy dorm room :)
No comments:
Post a Comment