Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 9, 2011

After that month of daily blogging, weekly posts feel so far apart. I think there's also the influence of weeks feeling far apart. To me, an upside of keeping busy is that time seems to move faster so that my life doesn't lag in an annoying way.

In my life, I've been chugging along through classes, hanging out at StuCo builds, and settling back into other student groups that Ragtime commitment interfered with. I'm stepping into some leadership roles, which is awesome because the current leaders singled me out to move up in the group. It's really nice to be recognized.

In theater news, I've been randomly showing up to groups' builds to help out and pass the time. I'm meeting a lot of great people and doing something I love in an awesome community. Last Friday, my friend David and I went to the hardware store and I got a wrench. I'm so excited about this. All of my tech stuff (gloves, flashlight, wrench, sharpie) is black and red, which is just sleek. I carry it all in a pack that I keep in my backpack so I can have it whenever I want it. In the Spring, I'm officially working on two shows and officially showing up to learn at a third. I will be Assistant Lighting Designing (ALD) WaaMu and Master Electrician for Into the Woods. My official hanging out will be at a dance show, where I will be shadowing a student designer and making him explain the design process to me so I can learn.

In school news, classes for next quarter have been posted, and I've got some tough decisions to make. I hope I can get into all of the classes I want, particularly because I'm going to start taking 300-level courses. They're getting small, so I hope there's a seat for me by the time I get to enroll. This quarter is still going well. I'm in round two of assessments, then I have a quieter couple of weeks, and then the final exams will be upon me. However, only one of my classes has a final during finals week, so once I get to reading week, things should be calm and awesome.

Fun story about class: I'm taking a religion class that is about defining religion. We did a chapter on death and mourning using Emile Durkheim's writing on piacular rites. In this class, we have a standing extra credit assignment to do a short writeup relating the course topic to something in art, literature, music, film, etc. I chose to write about Dumbledore's funeral in terms of Durkheim, which was actually kind of fun. The professor chose to use my example in class. The class is a bit awkward now because I'm known for the Harry Potter stuff, and my secret fandom identity has been exposed, but I'm so glad to have gotten 4.5 free points on my midterm. I randomly saw one of our TAs in the student center, and he brought up the assignment weeks after it was presented. So, yeah...awkward...

I really feel settled and happy at my university this quarter. Everything is falling into place, I have an academic and a social life, and I'm filling my time with fun activities.

Not much else to report...I've got a list of topics going that I want to write about, so there will be more brain dump type posts soon. And I haven't really been taking the time to play my guitar...it's still sitting in my room and I get to it about weekly, but I'm not learning any new songs at the moment.

Today is awesome because one of my classes got randomly canceled, so I gained an entire hour of studying for tomorrow's exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment