Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Fandom Guide

So, I identify as a member of a number of fandoms, particularly Harry Potter and Doctor Who. I'm writing a post to discuss which fandoms I'm a part of and what my favorite things about them are.

YouTube:
This is where I started to be immersed in fandom culture. I started with vlogbrothers, then expanded to fiveawesomegirls, and later added the girls' personal channels, meekakitty, lukeconard, alexcarpenter, jasonmunday, nanalew, rhettandlink, etc. Basically, big names in wizard rock, nerdiness, and comedy. The way my YouTube interests spiraled into so many subscriptions mirrored the fandoms outside the YouTube community that I identify with. The people I watch on YouTube like many of the same things I do (most of the things on this list), and I think my love of John Green books is certainly connected to the fact that I watch him on vlogbrothers. I love the independent content that these people create, and I like being able to support them through views online, listening to their music, and going to live shows.

Harry Potter:
I am a Ravenclaw with some Gryffindor tendencies. I'm a huge fan of Lily Evans, Hasan Mostafa, and Ewan Abercrombie (he's a Hufflepuff). I know a lot of trivia, love the images and info on Pottermore, and listen to wizard rock (wrock) on a regular basis. I have a decent Lily Evans costume (plaid skirt, white button-down, Gryffindor tie), but I am in the process of trying to figure out how to acquire some Ravenclaw swag. I really want to go to LeakyCon (or a similar huge convention) and somehow get to Wizarding World.

Doctor Who:
I love the Doctor and the TARDIS. Daleks, while exciting, don't really do it for me. I also don't love Cybermen. David Tennant is my favorite actor of the new series, but Matt Smith is totally adorkable. Companions: 1. Rose (she's awesome) 2. River (so spunky, so smart, so awesome) 3. Rory (he's so loyal, loving, and wonderful) 4. Donna (feisty; challenges the Doctor) 5. Martha (smart, makes her own choices, really great adventures) 6. Amy (funny, adventurous, has the most meaningful relationships with the most people). These are in order, but the ranking is kind of irrelevant because I like all of the companions a lot. Gallifrey and the TARDIS are my favorite symbols/places. My favorite Christmas Special is The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe. My favorite adventure is the Shakespeare Code. My favorite episode is Blink. I love the intersection of science and science fiction and plot. It's my favorite show because the visual and the audio are both necessary.

The Hunger Games:
Favorite character is Katniss. Character crush is totally Peeta. Obsessed with Mockingjays. The thing that's great about the series is that there is no sugar-coating of the violence. I'm quite nervous about the movie ruining certain scenes and glossing over the things that make the series so impactful. I get chills when I hear Rue's whistle.

Sherlock:
I just got into this series. It is so BBC! It has great banter and great action. I think I like John more than Sherlock. Mycroft is hilarious. Jim is a bit too crazy for me; I find him annoying. I feel dorkily special when I tie my scarf like Sherlock does.

Buffy/Angel:
I liked Buffy through season 3, Willow through season 4, always Xander, Giles, and Tara. Anya grew on me, and I loved Spike in the last few episodes. I appreciate Joss Whedon's take on vampire lore. Favorite boyfriends were Angel (always) and Riley (before he got insecure). Favorite episode: Hush. I like Angel because it shows a different side of the Whedonverse of good and evil. Love all the characters. Killer last line of the series "I want to slay the dragon." The series do seem to stagnate after a while, but they are always entertaining.

I think I'm going to leave it at that for now.

Today is awesome because I realized that I am going to finish a major and two minors with time to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment