Sunday, April 21, 2013

250!!!

This is 250th blog post. Whoah.

Not much happened today (I finished filming for my friend's film, did a viewing for my Drama class, watched some Battlestar Galactica...really uneventful), so I'm going to reflect on what's happened in the last 250 posts.

I started this blog December of my freshman year of college. Now I'm a junior. I feel like a completely different person. Two and a half years ago, I hadn't done any of the things that have defined my college experience and I was writing silly posts about seeing an outdoor performance of The Lion King. In retrospect, I came to know every single person who was part of that performance, but at the time, they were all strangers.

So, I started my blog with an everyday blogging challenge. Then I worked on my first student theater production, Ragtime. The rest of my freshman year was characterized by randomly working on a bajillion shows, joining Dance Marathon, surviving the snowpocalypse, and actually getting my life together a little bit. The summer was spent in a job at summer camp, and then it was time for sophomore year. I have recorded the stories of adventures in lighting design, breaking my hand, my second Dance Marathon, the superior of my Dillo Days, and a midyear move to my home away from home. Then I took a hiatus from this blog and wrote daily all summer while I was studying abroad in China on my second blog to record that experience. Which brings us to now, junior year, a time of intensive schoolwork, internships, and starting to feel like an actual grown-up.

In the interim, I've found fandoms, tumblr, new friends, and new hobbies. I decided what I want to study and what I want to do after I graduate. And graduation is in sight more than ever before.

While it is strange to catalog experiences, I am so happy to have my blog as a record of the things I've done, the thoughts I've had, and the experiences that have made me grow into the person I am. I am so much more focused as a person than I was when I started 250 posts ago, and I know who I am and what I want even more than ever before. I look back to how clueless I was at the beginning even though I told myself I had a plan. It was a vague one, but it was there, and now I have a major, two minors, two internships, and a detailed plan for my senior year. It's crazy how fast things change, but I'm also really happy with the transitions I've made.

I know a few times this year I've had freak-outs about growing up, getting older, and filling the shoes of those who came before me. It makes me wonder what kind of legacy I'm leaving as I make my way through the upperclass years, especially realizing that I now tell stories the same way my older friends did when they would reminisce about their underclass years. I feel no need to be widely remembered; it would just be nice to have some assurance that I won't be entirely forgotten.

So now, moving past this milestone of posts, I know I'm going to continue doing things, growing, and changing. I'll look back at this 250 mark and think how different I was by the time I hit my next milestone. In the meantime, I'm just looking forward to the journey. May it be as awesome as the one that got me here, but hopefully with fewer injuries.

Today is awesome because I tried Ben and Jerry's Cannoli ice cream and it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment