My parents met Elie Wiesel tonight. They talked with him, took pictures with him, and he signed my beloved copy of Night. Then, after that portion of the evening, he spoke on his life's work on the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.
My dad sent me photos throughout the night, and when I saw that he signed my book, I literally started crying. Elie Wiesel is one of my heroes as an author, a speaker, a public figure, and an advocate for human rights and social justice. His constant message of hope and caring is so inspiring to me, and even though I didn't meet him myself, I feel so lucky to have that inscription in my book. I have not only read this particular book multiple times, but I have read many of his speeches and other commentary that he has written. After speaking with my parents on the phone, they told me that he asked about who I was, where I was, what I was doing, and recognized the course of study I am pursuing at my university.
I am just in awe of the fact that this occurred tonight. Today is awesome because Elie Wiesel wrote in my copy of his book.
No comments:
Post a Comment