I had two of my four classes today: Introduction to Drama and Biomedicine and World History. I had homework for these classes assigned last Friday, which I did because I'm a perfectionist like that, but it made me mad to have to do reading for classes during the last few days of break. Well, the insinuation that I'd do it during break. I actually did it on my travel day, but it got done, so whatever.
I only get to have a first day of class three more times after today. It is my fourth-to-last quarter of college, and it has gone by way too fast. I know the seniors are feeling this because it is either their last quarter or their first quarter not in classes, and just knowing that I'm a year away from the end is starting to be the exciting kind of scary that comes with big life transitions.
I don't have class until 1:00 MWF (we were on the Monday schedule today because of reasons), so I got to go to the gym and eat lunch before heading over to the lecture hall for Intro Drama. This class was a slightly overwhelming experience since I haven't been in a proper lecture hall since December. I knew a surprising number of people in the class, and we basically went over the syllabus/objectives for the course. My TA is the Theater grad student (as opposed to the English grad students) and we're about to discuss Ibsen. I think it's going to be good; the professor is a dynamic lecturer.
We ended a bit early, and on my way to Biomedicine and World History, I came across the office of the professor who led my study abroad trip. It was nice to get to say "ni hao" to him. The class itself was a bit long (it used the full 80 minutes) for the introductory business that we did. We each had to introduce ourself and make a comment either on the reading or the syllabus, and that took a long time. We will have a coursepack and the readings online, so I don't have to buy books for this class, which is nice. I like not having to buy books. I did already "get an A" for answering what major disease originated in the Americas in the Columbian Exchange (syphilis), so I have high hopes for the rest of the quarter.
After class, I got coffee with a friend and made my stops at CVS, Whole Foods, and the alternative bookstore. The bookstore didn't actually have the books I needed, so I'll try again later in the week at the official bookstore. I then chilled in the dorm until my dinner at 6:30. I like the Tuesday Night Dinners a lot because I get to spend time with really smart, interesting, and thoughtful people that I don't really see anywhere else. We each bring an ingredient and the food is always so delicious. Tonight was the famously awesome sweet potato burritos. Carbs on carbs on carbs. After dinner we played telephone pictionary, the funniest of games, and the consensus was that the dream job is to be "office warlock"and the anger of the angry salami was the only thing that translated. It was a night full of laughter.
I went from dinner to my Romance (by David Mamet) production meeting, where I had to present my initial design ideas to the group for the lighting design I am in the process of creating. I feel really weird about the fact that I am legitimately designing the lights for a legitimate student theater production, that I have all the control and people expect me to know what I'm doing. I'm currently in fake it til you make it mode, and it's working better than letting everyone see me sweat, but until I have seen a final ground plan, made a light plot, and seen a run of the show, I'm going to be extremely nervous. The meeting went well though, and I am ready to move forward.
It ended really late, then I got home after 11:30, finished my blog, and went to bed.
As a side note, I think I'm doing BEDA, mostly because I posted my Doctor Who reaction yesterday and then realized it was April 1 and I was already on track. It'll be good for me to start writing for fun again. However, since April is National Poetry Month, I saw a friend is going to write a poem a day for the month of April, so I think that some of these blog posts (for the uneventful days) will be poems. Probably haikus because I find them fun.
Today is awesome because of office warlocks.
No comments:
Post a Comment