It's just been a weird day. I woke up this morning after having a dream that was very similar to a teen movie (the phrase "we support each other" was spoken with a physical manifestation of this very phenomenon) involving most of my college friends who have graduated, so I woke up acutely missing a number of people who just aren't in my life on a daily basis any more. I ate lunch in the student center, and realized that not only are the couches gone, but the people I always expected to see on the couches are also gone, so it's never going to be the same anyway.
Despite missing old friends, I had a pretty good day. I talked to a prospective student randomly who happened to be from my hometown, had good classes, and a productive meeting in the afternoon. I randomly ran into a number of my friends walking from place to place and had some of the best hugs in a really long time. And Starbucks Tribute Blend is pretty darn tasty.
It was all, however, marred by the events in Boston. I don't have a lot of personal connections in that city, but my people who are there are thankfully okay. It's just so strange to think of this kind of thing happening in real life. I don't have much to say about it because most of it has already been said or is just a stock phrase that is proper to use in situations like these. All such aphorisms feel incredibly insincere to me. I will say this: the first responders, be they civilian or public employee, were amazing. In a video I saw, there were so many people who ran to help the injured, and it was so incredible to see strangers work together in such a high-stress, emotionally-charged, straight-up scary situation.
I hope everyone stays safe and in touch with loved ones, whether you are in Boston or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment