My favorite thing about Christmas is the television. On the 23rd there's the Seinfeld Festivus episode, on the 24th starting at 8 there's the 24 hours of A Christmas Story (funniest holiday movie ever!), and today there was a Doctor Who marathon culminating with the Christmas special, which was A Christmas Carol.
Today, I will squee-rant about the great things I watched all day.
I saw The Fighter today. Despite the gratuitous profanity and graphic fight scenes, it was a great film. I truly appreciate the character development that the team put in and I really understood each person's motivations for their actions. It's rare to find movies about people, and seeing this with the family was a lot of fun.
Now for the true squeeing. Doctor Who is quickly becoming an obsession. It is such a well written television program!! I mean, there are shows you can follow without listening, others you can follow without watching, and another category you can half-listen to, but this is a show that consumes all my attention. The acting and visuals are great, but the writing/dialogue in the series is spectacular. I love the cultural references in the quick banter between the Doctor and other characters. For example, in "The Shakespeare Code," the Doctor keeps quoting Shakespeare and Shakespeare will ask if he can use the line and the Doctor agrees. Or when Shakespeare is searching for the three syllable rhyme to defeat the Carrionites, Martha supplies "expelliarmus," to which the Doctor says "good old JK." It's just great!!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas special. I loved the way they incorporated time travel into the story so that it followed Dickens within the world of the show. Sharks, Marilyn, Amy and Rory's costumes, the TARDIS...it was all so squee worthy :)
Today is awesome because of A Christmas Story, The Fighter, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and finally sounding a bit like a real guitar player.
No comments:
Post a Comment