Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

Time for a feminist rant.

Lately, as I've been watching TV with my brother, certain ads have been bothering me a lot. In particular, perfume commercials are rather strange in their portrayal of women. Most of them are very sexual, one involves frolicking with puppies, and one is actually a rather romantic date situation. They all involve love, or the perception of love, yet oftentimes there are creepy overtones of sexual assault. Sexual assault is never okay and I'm disturbed that it even is brought to mind by a perfume commercial.

Am I hypersensitive to this issue? Maybe. But someone needs to be looking and thinking.

I guess I've been thinking a lot about modern gender expectations. I mean, I cannot see myself spending so much time and effort on an education and future career to give it up and be a housewife. I hate feeling like a stereotype, but I'm already thinking about how to balance decades old expectations with those that are just emerging as times continue to change. It's never going to be easy until society is completely egalitarian without even having to think about it, and this attitude applies to every single type of inequality.

Okay, so, my life. I'm back to the guitar and I got a songbook today that has "The Best Songs Ever," so that should be fun. I finally got my work gloves for the show, and I'm super excited about that. Tae Kwon Do class was, once again, a joy and it feels so great to be back at my home school. Basically, life is good and I look forward to spending more time doing things I like and seeing people I love.

Today is awesome because of Tae Kwon Do, guitar, and being complimented on my swimming by the old man who was sharing the lane with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment