I almost got hit by a car today. This is not an ordinary "almost"; the car was in fact speeding toward me as I was crossing the street.
I got to the corner, stopped, looked, the light changed to "walk" and I started walking, while still watching. This car made a full-speed left turn, and once I realized it was coming at me I sprinted back to the sidewalk. It was probably three feet away from me, and it never stopped or slowed. Then the rest of the left turners turned.
PEDESTRIANS HAVE RIGHT OF WAY. I was correct to cross the street with the light. That turning car (and the other turning cars) were, by law, supposed to wait for ME. I didn't do anything wrong and I almost died because some driver was in too much of a hurry to let me cross the street when I had the right of way.
When I got to the other side of the street, I was so frazzled that I had to stop walking and, without intending it, I began to cry. It was bad. I pulled myself together and proceeded to get food, but I have never noticed so many street crossings as I did since the car.
I am frightened and upset by this experience.
In other news, I rode the Shop-n-Ride shuttle to Target today and I bought a fan and some snacks that they don't sell near my campus. I liked the convenience of the shuttle, and plan to use it more in the future. It was really great to be able to shop at a store that isn't grossly overpriced all the time.
Today is awesome because the show is wrapped. It was an amazing thing to be a part of, but it reached a natural conclusion and I'm relieved to be done with strike.
No comments:
Post a Comment