In reflecting on my first year of college, I came to the realization around Spring Break that my fall quarter was spent in a state of contentment while my winter was a happy time. This distinction has been plaguing me ever since I figured it out, because while I wasn't unhappy or feeling anything particularly negative, I was complacently remaining in a routine in which nothing was exciting.
I think it's very easy to be complacently content by not letting the negatives of life overwhelm you, but happiness occurs when you look forward to something every day. That something could be as small as seeing a certain person or doing a specific activity, but there's something in each day to make you smile or get really excited.
For the school year, the happiness came when I had consistent social interaction with an awesome group of friends. This summer, I have been content overall, but the thing that has made me happy is Tae Kwon Do, again because it is both social and active. I had an average job experience and enjoyed swimming, but that was always alone. Nothing has made me happier than my evenings from the moment I go down the stairs into that smelly, stuffy basement to train with the best people around to the extra time to just talk with my parents before they go to bed at a ridiculously early hour. I am also happy when I see my friends, but since we've all been working, that has been less frequent than I would have liked.
Anyway, I was just reflecting on contentment vs. happiness and what it takes to make the upgrade. It takes effort, and that's the challenge. But I'd say it's definitely worth it.
Today is awesome because I spent an awesome spontaneous hour with my friend after shopping with my mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment