Monday, August 8, 2011

On Food, BEDA Day 6

Everyone likes food. This is a fact.

Everyone likes to think that liking food is something characteristic of their group. This is also a fact.

In my high school, everyone thought it was so unique for everyone to be obsessed with food: making it, eating it, sharing it, etc. For birthdays and other milestones, we'd bake for each other. This is not unique. What is unique is that students could leave laptops charging on a windowsill without them being stolen, but if you left your plate of cookies unattended, it would be eaten by the time you got back. Kind of silly, but the food was always more important (and you wouldn't get in trouble for eating someone else's brownie but stealing a computer is a serious offense).

When I'm the one with free time in the family, I am often charged with the mission of family grocery shopping. I like to tease my mom about giving me free reign over what gets bought because I like to try different types of foods, and I mean protein bars, vegan, gluten free, etc. For today's trip, I told her I was going to buy ice cream, chips, vegan stuff, and GF stuff. I did, but it wasn't that weird. I got ice cream (on a stick; 100 calorie bars), pretzels (ok, not chips, but close enough), tofu (vegan), and rice (GF). I kept my promise, but it's all normal, edible stuff.

I've considered going veggie for a while, and I pretty much am at school. I stopped eating red meat years ago for health reasons, and it is rare for me to choose to eat chicken or fish in the dining halls; it just looks gross most of the time. But I do love tofu, and stir-fry is a staple of my diet. I don't think I could go entirely veggie for the rest of my life, but I like to think I'm helping the environment by eating less meat.

I had the urge to make bread last week, so I just need to get some yeast, and that is happening either this week or next. Probably next week since I'm working mornings this week and I want to have it baked by the time I have to go to tae kwon do. I'm using my great-grandmother's recipe, so I'm pretty excited :)

Today is awesome because I started printing photos for my 2010-2011 collage/poster that acts as a "wall of stuff"/scrapbook and hangs on my dorm room wall. I really loved my 2009-2010 poster, so I'm pretty psyched to have another one for this year.

Meters Swum: 1,400 (2,500 for the week so far)
Tae Kwon Do: I broke a board tonight and wore my new uniform. It felt great to train in a uniform that wasn't 4 years old :)

No comments:

Post a Comment