Saturday, August 6, 2011

BEDA 4: On Reading

I like to read. I read every day, and I've read some good books this summer (see earlier blog for the list). However, I read different types of books at different paces.

For instance, I'm just over 100 pages into Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier and I've been reading that for at least a week (maybe more? I lost track of time a few weeks ago). Yesterday, my friend loaned me a copy of Goliath by Scott Westerfeld (yes, this isn't out yet; perks of being the friend of a book reviewer's daughter), and I'm already as far in it as I am in Rebecca.

Does that mean Westerfeld's writing is superior to DuMaruier's? No. Goliath is the third book in a trilogy of novels that bring World War II into an alternate steampunk reality. It's really cool, has lots of action, and plot twists every other chapter. Rebecca is its own work and it is so much more psychological and character-driven. They are completely different and I will finish both, but Goliath is a much more fun read for me because I like the way it moves and how awesome the characters are.

I don't really know what I'll read next; it'll probably take some exploring of the public library once I'm back at college, but I won't be able to sleep unless I have a book.

Today is awesome because I got new Tae Kwon Do uniforms and had a nice evening of Harry Potter and ice cream. Oh, and I ironically wore a Hunger Games (actually, Freedom in Panem) t-shirt that I got at a wizard rock concert to go see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 for the second time (better than the first).

Meters Swum: 1,000. When I came home, I looked in the mirror and I was surprised to see that I was less pale than before I went today. I won't say tan because I'm not that dark, but I'm darker than I was!
Tae Kwon Do: YES! Three hours. And new uniforms. It was a good day.
Buffy: Not today. Still on Season 5, but I have to switch to Angel Season 2 for a few episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment