So, today I had work 9-12:15 entering data for the two-week session, so there were more than twice as many numbers per kid. I got through 8 of 64, so this is a much slower process because there is so much more to enter. Thank goodness tomorrow's the last day because I don't think I could do any more of this!!!
I spent 4 hours at the pool today because someone was looking at the house and I don't like to be around for that. I swam 1,300 meters in about an hour, then washed my hair in the locker room, and read Goliath until 4:50.
At that point, I put my wet hair in a ponytail, bought a bottle of water, and left for Tae Kwon Do, which was the highlight of my day (and not just because the rest of it was less than perfect). I was early for being early, so I got some extra good stretching in, kicked a pillar, and then worked knife. We did a drill whose entire goal was "don't get stabbed" and my performance was rather substandard. However, it helped me see the flow of how a knife moves, what leads into a defendable attack, and what comes next when you get out of the way of an attack. It was really helpful.
Class was small (5 students and the instructor), so we got a lot of detail work in. I was the lead on kicking strings, and that ended up being a lot more about foot position than the footwork to make the kicks flow. Then we did the drop-step kicks that we had drilled last week, but this time we cut the symmetry and linked different kinds of kicks rather than two of the same. I really like the turning!! It's my goal to use some sort of spin during August fight night :)
Today, Tae Kwon Do was special because I had enough time to relax and focus on everything. It let me use my brain and my body, and I got to work with truly awesome people. Having even a few minutes before or after class to catch a human moment with my classmates is one of the best parts of going to these classes.
Besides, the contents of my TKD backpack are getting stranger and stranger. I carry a plastic knife with a strip of purple Duck Tape (the brand, I'm not misspelling the product) around the handle; the thinking stick; a plastic sandwich bag with tapes, band aids, and alcohol swabs; a purple mouthguard; and whatever bag is functioning as a "purse" ends up in there. Now I'm adding washable markers to the mix. Sometimes my life confuses me, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.
Today is awesome because I reached 7,000 meters of swimming over 5 days, and because of Tae Kwon Do.
No comments:
Post a Comment