I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer this summer, and now that I'm on season 5, I've started watching Angel as well. I noticed a lot of similarities between the Buffy/Angel relationship and the Edward/Bella relationship.
Basically, Angel is awesome and Stephenie Meyer took many of his attributes and made them creepy in Edward. These include the going into the girl's room at night though the window, being a "good vampire" ( Angel has a soul, Edward only eats animals), restrictions on the physical aspects of the relationship, and leaving the girl so she can have a real life with a mortal man. However, it's creepier when Edward does it because Bella is such a weak character. Buffy is The Slayer. She can and will kill Angel if he turns evil, whereas Bella would rather kill herself than the vampire.
I think one of the things I really love about Buffy is that she is so grounded in her calling, but she also takes the time to be a teenager/college student/girl. She knows what she wants and will fight for things to be right. I am so disturbed by the weakness and dependence Bella exemplifies and the type of subtext that young readers don't even know is there. With Buffy, at least the subtext is general teen health messages like, "don't have sex, your boyfriend will lose his soul and start killing the people you care about," or " don't smoke; only the evil characters smoke" (that is literally how I figure out who is supposed to be the bad guy...oh, '90s teen shows...).
5seasons in, I still love this show and cant wait to see what happens next!
Today is awesome because I got to see people I care about that I haven't seen for a long time and I got on Pottermore.
Meters Swum: 2,500
Lengths Swum: 100
Tae Kwon Do: Yes! It was totally awesome. I learned a choke and some really fun kicks that I see myself potentially using to break and spar.
No comments:
Post a Comment