Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BEDA 28: On the James Bond Wannabe, Shopping, and Saying Goodbye

One very important part of my zoo day yesterday was that we drove past a James Bond wannabe. It was a man in an Aston Martin convertible wearing a suit and smoking a big fat cigar. The only thing is, he had a comb-over. It was puzzling, but it was also the first time I'd seen a real Aston Martin, and it was cool.

I went shopping with my friend Katie today. It was really fun!! The thing is, I spend so much time doing activities that I never really take the time to stop and take a relaxed day to be a girl. As much as I hate being a stereotype, I enjoy doing this from time to time. I ended up finding a really cute dress that looks like a skirt and top (it has pockets and goes well with my sparkly purple sneakers), and the most adorable socks ever that have koalas and owls on them (still in zoo mode a little bit).

I've got 6 days left at home and 10 days until I go back to school (4 days of traveling with the family). I know that I belong at college; it's where my life is currently centered and it's my job to do well there. I have friends, a home (dorm, but close enough), things to do, and places to be. HOWEVER, every time I come back to where I grew up it's so amazing to see all the people who have shaped the adult I am becoming (both mentors and peers) and get to spend time with people who have known and cared about me for a long time. The fact is, I care about them, too, and I love spending time with the people at home in the places unique to being home.

Every time I have to say goodbye to someone it is so difficult. They are the reason it's good to come back, and having to go through the act of leaving again and again is hard. It adds a twinge of guilt and sadness for being excited to go to school, but not in a way that stops me. I do keep in touch (and this year I resolve to be better about it), and the internet never lets us be too far apart. I've just been sad about saying goodbyes in the last few weeks, and wanted to blog about it.

Today is awesome because of shopping with Katie, Tae Kwon Do, and the beautiful sunny weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment