Sunday, August 7, 2011

On Summer, BEDA Day 5

I love summer and always have.

Ever since I was little I would go to camp, from preschool camps to theater camps to sports camps to speech camps (I went to 2). Camp has been a huge part of my growing up experience, and that is something that is special about each summer. I have really enjoyed making the transition to being a camp counselor/staffer because I was one of those campers who knew the camp so well that I knew as much as the counselors and was destined to be one of them one day. It's an environment where the kids are so fun to work with and you can't get that anywhere else.

Now that I'm older and camp has become work, I love going to the pool. Last summer I started swimming laps, and there is nothing more addictive than pushing myself to swim farther while enjoying the sun and heat of the summer days. It is a workout and it also gives me a chance to relax because I zone out and am alone with my thoughts while I'm swimming, and then afterward, while I dry off, I get to read. I read a lot in the summer, not as much as I used to or would like to, but I give myself permission to read a few extra novels that are pure fun, and that makes it more enjoyable.

There's always a day in the summer that I look in the mirror and realize I'm not pale anymore. It's pretty hilariously shocking, but then it feels like it's really summer. I had that day a while ago, but I've spent more time at the pool since camp ended, so I looked in the mirror today and saw that I had gotten darker, and that was weird. I have a ridiculous sunglass tan, but I don't care enough to do anything about it.

I try to do fun things with friends in the summer, like the Medieval Faire and bonfires and such, and that's been great. We're going river walking next weekend, and I'm super excited for that. Natural water, mud, plants, waterfalls...it'll be a good time :)

Today is awesome because I had a great conversation with a friend from school.

Meters Swum: 1,100

No comments:

Post a Comment